In celebration of my birthday this weekend, here are 24 things I’ve learned over the last 24 years. Some of these I’ve learned through personal experience, some by watching others, and some, of course, thanks to the internet.
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. That’s how you learn.
- It’s ok to be afraid. It’s not ok to let that fear dictate how you live.
- Always wear cute underwear. Always.
- Treat yourself. Even if you didn’t do anything to “deserve” it. You’re here, you’re breathing, you deserve it.
- Don’t use cruise control when it’s raining.
- Don’t let others’ inability to see your worth dictate your value.
- Your friends are simultaneously the greatest and the worst people you will ever meet. And if it were any different they wouldn’t be your friends.
- Some important life lessons can be learned simply by watching drunk people.
- If you don’t have anything nice to say, find a friend that will appreciate hearing your mean thoughts.
- You may not want to, or even know how, but sometimes you have to be the bigger person.
- Glitter is for life not just Christmas.
- You can’t drink away feelings so don’t try to.
- Want to feel like you have your life together? Wear a blazer.
- You have to believe there are kisses and laughs and risks worth taking.
- Know your limits.
- Life is not a fairy tale. If you lose a shoe at midnight, you’re drunk. Go home.
- To help yourself not text someone, change their name to ‘piece of crap’ in your phone. No one wants to text a piece of crap.
- Fall in love when you’re ready, not lonely.
- Leggings are pants.
- Never let anyone tell you that you aren’t worth being loved if you don’t love yourself first. That’s a load of crap and whoever said that is literally the worst.
- Crying doesn’t mean you’re weak. Letting your emotions out doesn’t mean you’re crazy. You’re human and there’s nothing wrong with you.
- The saying that you can tell a lot about a guy by how he treats his mom is 110% true. If he’s a jerk to his mom, he’ll be a jerk to you. Run. Run far and run fast.
- Don’t give up on love.
- Nothing will ruin your 20s more than thinking you should have your life together already. Life is a crazy beautiful mess so accept it and do your best to enjoy it.